CLOSED: UPDATED Kwusen is Hiring! - Indigenous Knowledge & Land Use Research Assistant
Position: Indigenous Knowledge & Land Use Research Assistant
Position type: Mitacs Career Connect Internship: Full-time, 6-month contract
Interns must be between 15 and 30 years old, a post-secondary graduate, and a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. For more information about eligibility visit https://www.mitacs.ca/en/career-connect
Location: Victoria BC
Salary: Competitive, commensurate with experience
Application deadline: March 28, 2018
Start date: As soon as possible
The Indigenous Knowledge & Land Use Research Assistant (RA) will support indigenous communities in land use research and planning. The RA will support Kwusen’s Researches on ongoing research and analysis related to the natural resource sector, environmental monitoring, and Aboriginal rights and title. The RA will be responsible for document management and coding and analyzing interview data using Kwusen Research & Media Ltd.’s web-based mapping technologies.
Kwusen is a specialist consulting company who works with Indigenous communities to conduct community-based research on Indigenous Knowledge, cultural heritage, and traditional land use. Our participatory approach emphasises community capacity building to engage community members in researching their own cultural heritage, Indigenous Knowledge, and land use practices. We specialize in traditional ecological knowledge, Indigenous Knowledge, and Traditional Land Use and Occupancy research in relation to land claims and environmental impact assessments. We also provide innovative services to utilize documentary video, websites, apps and web-based mapping technologies in our research and reporting.
For more information please visit our website at: www.kwusen.com
Job Duties Include:
• Support to our Indigenous Knowledge Researchers in managing data from Indigenous communities;
• Coding and analysing interview data and completing interview data entry into a customized web-based data management and mapping application;
• Creating custom maps using Google Earth;
• Basic video processing;
• Graphic design and report formatting; and,
• General office and administrative duties as required.
• Undergraduate degree or higher in social sciences (Anthropology, Geography, Environmental Studies);
• Experience completing computer data entry or research data analysis; and,
• Office Work experience (such as work in an office environment providing general administrative support) would be an asset.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills;
• Ability to work within a fast-paced, dynamic environment; and,
• Fluency with Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word.
• Qualitative social science and ethnographic research methods;
• Familiarity with digital mapping technologies including Google Earth.
• Familiarity with environmental issues and resource extraction in Canada; and,
• Experience with Indigenous issues and communities in Canada would be an asset.
Please email a cover letter, to the attention of Susannah Machelak, curriculum vitae, and three references, citing “Research Assistant” in the subject line and attention to Susannah Machelak at firstname.lastname@example.org. by March 28, 2018. For questions regarding the position, please email email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.