Kwusen is Hiring - IT and Research Support
Position: IT and Research Support
Position type: Full-time
Location: Victoria BC, with potential travel to remote communities within Canada
Salary: Competitive, commensurate with experience
Application deadline: January 24th, 2020
Start Date: February 10, 2020
The successful IT and Research Support candidate will provide support in the further development of Kwusen’s web-based mapping technologies, including the Community KnowledgeKeeper (CKK) and the GeoKeeper application. The successful candidate will assist Kwusen staff in the configuration of new CKKs, enter and upload a variety of content to websites, be an on-call support resource for website users, test new feature developments for both software platforms, and train users on both software applications. Furthermore, the successful IT and Research Support candidate will provide research and data management support to Indigenous communities to ensure that they are well-positioned to provide feedback to the natural resource sector, BC government and Federal government on the environmental/Indigenous rights impacts of natural resource and infrastructure development.
Kwusen Research & Media is dedicated to research and IT solutions to support Indigenous Sovereignty. We work with Indigenous communities in Canada to conduct community-based research on traditional knowledge and land use. Our approach emphasizes building capacity in Indigenous communities to engage community members in researching their own traditions and land use practices utilizing innovative software solutions. We specialize in Indigenous knowledge and land use research in relation to environmental impact assessments. Our suite of software solutions supports communities in field-data collection as well as management of research data and consultation tracking. The CKK and GeoKeeper are used by over thirty Indigenous communities in western and northern Canada to manage and store Indigenous land use data, as well as to assist in the management of natural resource sector consultations/referrals they receive from government and industry.
For more information please visit our website at: www.kwusen.com
Job Duties Include:
• Assistance to our IT Solutions Manager and existing Website Support staff in managing data from Indigenous
• Working closely with Indigenous community staff to assist them with their data entry questions/needs;
• Working closely with our software developers (in-house and contractors) to assist in CKK maintenance, testing and
• Using Google Earth for mapping purposes;
• Uploading and entering data and documents into websites;
• Potential travel to remote communities throughout northern and western Canada to assist with CKK training for new
• Updating and posting on company social media platforms;
• Assistance with marketing; and,
• General office and administrative duties as required.
• Minimum one year of relevant work experience (such as work in an office environment providing general
• Experience completing computer data entry;
• Demonstrated interest in issues affecting Indigenous communities in Canada; and,
• A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, training and/or related experience.
• Ability to work independently to complete tasks with great attention to detail;
• Ability to clearly communicate technical details and build rapport with people of diverse backgrounds;
• Be comfortable in leading or assisting in multi-day training sessions for groups of 2-10 people;
• Good listening skills and the ability to remain calm/supportive when assisting people with diverse levels of computer
• Basic knowledge of at least one mapping program (such as ARC GIS, QGIS, Google Earth, etc.); and,
• Proficiency with MS Office.
• Experience with website testing;
• Experience writing web copy;
• Experience with social media engagement;
• Experience in graphic design;
• Experience in marketing;
• Experience with video editing;
• Mapping with free/Open Source software;
• Experience with scientific monitoring programs;
• Experience working in or with an Indigenous community or organization.
Please email a cover letter, to the attention of Camille O’Sullivan, a CV, and three references to email@example.com by January 24th, 2020. Please include “IT and Research Support” in the subject line. For questions regarding the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwusen is committed to respecting diversity within our workforce. We consider individuals with Indigenous backgrounds to be well-suited to the work and goals that we pursue, and they may be given preference in our hiring process. As a result, we encourage all Indigenous applicants to self-identify in their application.